status of ghostscript

Xose Vazquez Perez xose at wanadoo.es
Tue Oct 19 18:41:31 UTC 2004

Tim Waugh wrote:

> Okay -- but what are the differences between ESP Ghostscript and the
> Ghostscript package we actually ship?

latest Fedora Ghostscript and latest ESP Ghostscript are both based on GNU 7.07.
but ESP brings -> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/espgs/espgs/CHANGES?rev=1.101

> But these are relative to what?  GNU Ghostscript?  What I'm personally

yes, GNU.

And the main differences GPL vs. GNU are that GNU deletes all files from
Resource/CMap/* because they are:

%%Copyright: -----------------------------------------------------------
%%Copyright: Copyright 1990-1996 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
%%Copyright: All Rights Reserved.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Patents Pending
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: NOTICE: All information contained herein is the property
%%Copyright: of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: Permission is granted for redistribution of this file
%%Copyright: provided this copyright notice is maintained intact and
%%Copyright: that the contents of this file are not altered in any
%%Copyright: way from its original form.
%%Copyright:
%%Copyright: PostScript and Display PostScript are trademarks of
%%Copyright: Adobe Systems Incorporated which may be registered in
%%Copyright: certain jurisdictions.
%%Copyright: -----------------------------------------------------------

plus some adaptations of documents (GPL -> GNU, Linux -> GNU/Linux , GPL
license...) And GNU is one or two releases behind GPL.

> With respect to switching to ESP Ghostscript for the next development
> cycle, one drawback that seems immediately apparent is that ESP
> Ghostscript is not based on GNU Ghostscript 8.x!  If we stick to GNU
> Ghostscript we'll be able to upgrade to 8.x.

latest ESP still is based on GNU 7.07, but with a lot of external stuff:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/espgs/espgs/CHANGES?view=markup

get it from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/espgs

--
Hello, this is Darl McBride, and I pronounce Linux as UNIX.