Should I mention kde-3.3.1?

Richard June rjune at bravegnuworld.com
Wed Oct 20 01:11:07 UTC 2004

In general I agree that using KDE on fedora is a bit spotty, it's been better
than other distros in my opinion. only better KDE experience is the
kde-redhat packages. perhaps the two projects could work together for
everybody's benefit?

http://kde-redhat.sf.net

> -It's not possible to get mp3-support by installing an additional RPM
>  like it is for gnome, you have to recompile kdemultimedia.
as I use the KDE distro from the above, I can't go either way on this one.

> -Since KDE 3.3 it's more difficult to recompile kdemultimedia as the
>  SRPM includes patched sources, you have to go to ftp.kde.org and get
>  the original sources and place them in RPMBUILDIR/src manually
that's a bug. RPM by design is supposed to use pristine sources. if it
doesn't, you should file a bug.
> -kdemultimedia has random applications disabled without stating a reason
>  for this anywhere. Juk or Amarok, I don't recall exactly, in KDE 3.2
>  and 3.3.0, koncd in 3.3.1
I'll go with you on this. Juk is the app. Rhythmbox is a very capable
replacement, but still looks a bit out of place.
> -Automatic login with kdm doesn't work since 3.2
Attached are two files, put them in your /etc/pam.d directory. I found that on
Google.

> -KDE 3.3.1 won't be in Core 3 but come as "one of the first updates",
>  meaning that I'll have to download about 200 mb some days after I
>  downloaded Core 3.
I can only imagine that's a testing thing.
--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/rjune.asc