Devices and permissions

Alain PORTAL aportal at univ-montp2.fr
Thu Oct 21 09:44:41 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le mercredi 20 Octobre 2004 18:44, Matias Féliciano a écrit :
> Le mercredi 20 octobre 2004 à 18:24 +0200, Alain PORTAL a écrit :
> > > Add a warning :
> > > - /dev/ttyS? : Permission denied, more information in
> > > /usr/share/doc/<pkgname>-pkgversion>/README
> >
> > In %description?
>
> Why not.
>
> The application should popup the warning _when_ the application (already
> installed) failed to access /dev/ttyS? .
> Something like :
>  if ((fd = open("/dev/ttyS0", ...)) == EACCES) {
>   msg_popup("/dev/ttyS0 : Permission denied, more information in
> /usr/share/doc/<pkgname>-<pkgversion>/README") ; }
>
> With this, you are sure that the README will be read (if needed).

OK.

> > I was graphically login (kde) as normal user.
> > I opened a filemanager as root to open the /etc/security/console.perms
> > file.
>
> Is /etc/security/console.perms still world readable ?

Yes.

> > I made the change and save file.
> > I logout.
> > I try to login as normal user but it fails, X didn't want to start and
> > here is the message I saw (sorry, in french) :
> > " Un serveur X est déjà lancé sur le visuel :0. Est-ce que je dois
> > essayer un autre visuel ? Si vous répondez non, j'essayerai de démarrer
> > le szerveur sur :0 une nouvelle fois. (Vous pouvez afficher différentes
> > consoles en utilisant Ctrl+Alt et une touche de fonction Fn, etc)"
> > One time I said yes, other time I said no, but I had the same result,
> > unable to start X.
> > If I try to login as root, I succeed.
> > Finally, I had to comment the permissions definitions I added and reboot.
> > I had also to delete /tmp/.X?-lock.
>
> I can't really help here. Sorry.
>
> Get the original console.perms :
> rpm2cpio pam-...i386.rpm | cpio -iv -m -d ./etc/security/console.perms
>
> Do a diff with your console.perms and check if there is sometime wrong.

Nothing wrong, the only difference I saw is the one I made.
I renounce this solution.
Administrator would have to add users in lp and uucp groups.

Thanks for all your answers.
Regards.

- --
Alain PORTAL -- Service Commun de Microscopie Électronique
Université de Montpellier II -- Case Courrier 087
Place Eugène Bataillon -- 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05
Tél. : 04 67 14 37 35 -- Fax. : 04 67 14 37 37

NO WORD ATTACHMENTS: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html
http://www.giromini.org/usenet-fr/repondre.html