Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Kim B. Nielsen kbn at daimi.au.dk
Fri Oct 22 08:15:52 UTC 2004

Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Kim B. Nielsen wrote:
>

>> Actually, for my work, I use the graphical root login for one thing:
>>
>> Setting up a freshly installed machine... I know that this can be
>> done from an user account, but I
>

> Kickstart doesn't help?  It's a fairly useful technology that only Red
> Hat has a good implementation of.  (That I'm aware of.)

Yes, we do use kickstarts... But that isn't really feasible on the
laptops we are installing, because the hardware is different on nearly
each one and everyone wants to be root on their laptop. Having root on
their laptop means, of course, that the laptop isn't trusted on our
network...

We are, however, using kickstarts to a large extent on our regular machines.

>> Another issue is, that a system, at install time, can be configured
>> without any users at all. This is for instance the case if you
>> configure network authentication. If this setup for some reason
>> doesn't work, and root cannot log in (graphically), the user is left
>> with a system he cannot login to. Surely he can use a graphical
>> console, but often a graphical login will be more usefull, since it
>> can be easier to fix thing. Anyway, you are able to have a webbrowser
>> and a console on the same screen, which I have found to be very
>> usefull :)
>

> But an admin can get into X even if GDM disallows it.  And only an
> admin is setting up machines with network authentication.  It's the
> home users that don't have a fricken' clue that think, "oh, I'll log
> in as this root thingy, it's soooo much easier!" that are the problem.

True... But I think that the doomsday screen and warning message will
work better, than disallowing the graphical login. When you are setting
something up on a machine, it's sometimes easier to use the graphical
root to configure the thingy and make it work, and then, afterwards,
figure out how to make normal users use the thingy.

--
"He who controls the proxy server, controls the world..."