What does anaconda know?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 15:28:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 16:56 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Does it known if the machine is a laptop or not? Maybe even a specific
> model?

Not generically.

> The reason I am asking is that during the first boot on my iBook I noticed
> that a number of services was started that were completely useless on this
> machine, because the hardware these services care for is nonexistant (and,
> this being a notebook, can not be added, either).
>
> The services I remember of the top of my head were pcmcia, apm and a bunch
> of stuff provided by the iprtools package (some SCSI mumbo jumbo, it seems).
>
> Would it be possible to teach anaconda the knowledge to disable services on
> machines that have no chance of needing them, ever?

This is a never-ending battle.  The proper place for such a
determination is with the service itself.  Whether or not it's
chkconfig'd on or not by default in its %post can be keyed off of
something and then it's _in the package_ and you then avoid anaconda
having to learn about every new hardware specific "service" that people
decide to add.

Jeremy