NFS install and i815 graphics

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Oct 27 13:00:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:59, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> I have a machine with an i815 graphics device on the motherboard.  When I
> do a regular CD install the GUI works fine.  When I boot with "linux
> askmethod" with FC3T3 and select NFS install then at the time it goes to
> graphics mode the machine locks up.

It turns out that I was incorrect in this.

The problem is intermittent, I can't determine what triggers it.  It occurs
most of the time on my machines that have Intel 815 graphics, both an IBM
P3-800 desktop and a HP P3-800 desktop.

When it occurs the X server starts, the X cross cursor is briefly displayed
along with the mouse cursor that is normally used by Anaconda (two cursors,
but only the X cross cursor moves) and the Fedora welcome screen is displayed
with lots of what looks like static covering it (seems that it's the graphics
content from the boot loader which was still in the video memory).  After
about 1 second of that the screen goes to all vertical stripes of different
colors and the system locks up solidly enough that the caps-lock key does not
change the state of the caps-lock LED.