Removable storage devices and sync

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Oct 28 16:05:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:53 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:36:52 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger
> <fedora-devel at camperquake.de> wrote:
>
> > BTW, even Windows would like you to notifiy it before you yank out
> > an USB device (there is an icon for that in the taskbar), so requesting
> > an umount is nothing unknown in the windows world (although it is
> > not called by that name)
> That's true, but can we pop up a message stating the user did a really
> nasty thing removing the USB device without unmounting??
>
> Please forgive me if this is already in FC >1 but I am lagging a lot
> on installs...

No, this was discussed in detail and the conclusion was a dialog like
that just get users used to clicking close without reading the warning.
Once notification comes in we can add this but the ultimate idea is to
have some sort user-space caching file system that can recover from
devices being removed unexpectedly.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer