Removable storage devices and sync

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 28 16:10:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:36 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:32:01AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Right now, looking at the size is the best heuristic we got, sorry.
>
> No worries.
>
> BTW, even Windows would like you to notifiy it before you yank out
> an USB device (there is an icon for that in the taskbar), so requesting
> an umount is nothing unknown in the windows world (although it is
> not called by that name)

Btw, IIRC earlier versions of Windows pops up an evil model dialog box
telling the user off but I think they changed that as it annoyed users.
We don't do that right now FWIW. However, this is in no way carte
blanche for people to not unmount their devices before yanking them out
- one should always unmount your drives before doing that! The 'sync'
option is merely to minimize data loss in the event that people don't
unmount it.

Cheers,
David