sound server

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Oct 28 19:24:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:11:06PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Do we have any comments on the sound server topic from a broader
> perspective than only GNOME?

Is there any perspective on using arts

> A competing proposal I've heard is to just use ALSA directly.

For network stuff having had a further thing I'd implement esd "second edition"
by taking ESD and replacing all its audio side code with SDL_mixer, which
was written by someone who has a grasp of audio processing, is portable and
can mix multiple channels with fades, some effect and positioning control.

> I believe this is orthogonal to something like Helix/GStreamer which
> would both output to the sound server, but the maintainers of those
> media frameworks probably care about the discussion.

Helix needs 5.1 handling too - thats a lot more fun