FC3 rpm behavior change

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Sat Oct 30 21:20:30 UTC 2004

Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 20:58 +0000, Michael A. Peters a écrit :
> On 10/30/2004 01:12:16 PM, Matias Féliciano wrote:
>

> > The new behaviour is a bug.
> >

> I absolutely 100% agree.
> If a third party wants their software to work with red hat/fedora then
> the third party needs to make their software integrates with red hat/
> fedora and not the other way around.

FC2 and 4KSTACK is interesting. Fedora (or Linux) break the
compatibility with NVidia driver and this annoyed many people.

At the end, this decision (4KSTACK) improve Linux and "free" Linux.
Fedora and Linux should not depend on third party.

> Supplying compatability libraries is imho fine.
> But creating a scenario where your operating is more likely to have a
> problem because a vendor doesn't have the will to build their src.rpm
> on the system they intend the package to be installed (thus using the
> modern rpm) on is just absolutely bonkers and is the WRONG thing for
> red hat/fedora to do.

red hat (RHEL) is a supported product dedicated to Enterprise. It have
to work "out of the box". So, I don't know if it's the wrong thing to do
for RHEL.

> Laziness should not be encouraged.
> If a third party vendor is having difficulty getting their rpm to build
> on current fedora/red hat then the 3rd party vendor needs to fix their
> spec file.

Or rpm may add a warning :
        Ooops : conflict file detected. Contact the maintainer of the
        package. Conflict files can be ignored with "--replacefiles".