One update too far - help 2

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Wed Sep 1 23:54:07 UTC 2004

>On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:34:27PM -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>> Maybe, maybe not.  My first attempt was to boot into the Windows XP
>> partition and download an older RPM there.  When I rebooted back into
>> Linux I found that I couldn't mount the Windows (FAT32) partition
>> because modprobe kept segfaulting.  A *LOT* of functionality in the
>> Fedora/Redhat kernels is in modules.  I'm not even sure that you could
>> mount a CDROM or a floppy.
>insmod still should work btw., just use that :-)
>
>--
>Pekka Pietikainen

Thanks for all your hints. I haven't had the time to get back to it -
probably tonight before bedtime..

If I use insmod, what arguments are appropriate?

I can move modprobe.conf out of the way, but don't know if I can get
anything longer than 10 minutes of keystrokes into the box. I have a few
computers here, but only one CDROM burner (on the afflicted). Maybe
floppys..

Until later - thanks much.

BobG