ia32e, er EM64T that is...

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Sep 6 17:47:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:11:51AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I guess a better question: With kernel 2.6, is there any need to have a
> specific ia32e vs amd64 kernel?  Are all the differences worked out at
> runtime and thus a non-issue?  Thanks.

em64t as Intel currently call it is pretty close to the x86-64 architecture
so its not too bad a clone. It lacks prefetch/prefetchw which can also be
used by some fancy user space stuff like image processors. It also lacks
a hardware IOMMU so you may have performance problems going above about 3.5Gb
of RAM depending on your other hardware.

Alan