Will FC3 grub DTRT wrt installation on software RAID-1 boot arrays

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Sep 10 17:57:52 UTC 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, "Doncho N. Gunchev" <mr700 at globalnet.bg> wrote:

>     When I remove any of the disks (or swap them randomly) it boots
> without problems (even changing hdc to hdd).

Right.  Now try to get the first disk to fail in such a way that it
remains visible to the BIOS but it no longer works, or no longer
serves the boot sector correctly, and see how that goes.  That's the
kind of scenario you might be willing to protect against, right?
Unfortunately, in this case, it won't renumber the disks, and the
system won't boot up.

>     md0 is /boot and everything else is on md1 (LVM). I don't know if
> BIOS moves the first available disk to 0x80

It does.  This is exactly what you're tell grub when you change the
device mapping.