kernel module fs permissions

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Sep 11 20:52:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 22:03, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> is having the modules executable an actual problem?

AFAICT it's the same problem or non-problem as with any file out there
if a file that is not meant to be executable has executable bits set.
But I believe it's pretty much cosmetic in this case.

The reason I was asking are separate extra kernel module packages; in
those it's usually trivial to tune the permissions to be "correct" and
still have rpm auto-strip them.  Or at least more trivial than in the
actual kernel package as currently implemented.