"Stateless Linux" project

Stephen J Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Mon Sep 13 19:13:38 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Red Hat engineering is starting a new project we're calling
> "stateless Linux" for lack of a better name - some components of this
> are already in Rawhide, and others will be appearing shortly.
>
> We've been keeping the project a little bit quiet at first, but now
> we've written it up in some detail:
>
>  - an overview document, available from
>    http://people.redhat.com/~hp/stateless/
>
>  - a HOWTO document and a couple associated RPMs, available from
>    http://people.redhat.com/dmalcolm/stateless/
>
> There aren't many new RPMs for this, because stateless Linux isn't a
> single codebase or package, it's a set of changes across the
> distribution (you might think of it as a "philosophy"). Most of the
> changes are already in Rawhide (the highlights are mentioned in the
> StatelessLinux.pdf document).
>
> Appreciate feedback, especially from anyone who has time to try out
> the HOWTO. We expect the code to change quite a bit as issues and
> suggestions come in.

Ok I havent had time to deal with the HOWTO.. but this does look very
good. A good many 'secure' locations will be looking for thick thin
clients and the problems I have had with current solutions is that an
update to the system was a pain in the butt. Having an architecture that
can be used to update cleanly 8000 diskless machines without having to
take each one down, rebuild the NFS diskspace from a master copy, and
reboot is a win.

--
Stephen John Smoogen	        | CCN-5 Security Team
LANL SIRT Team Leader           | SMTP:  smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Laboratory  | Voice: 505.664.0645
Ta-03 SM-1498 MS: B255 DP 10S   | FAX:   505.665.7793
Los Alamos, NM 87545            |