[fedora.us] More bugzilla ticket reassignments

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Sep 18 20:36:37 UTC 2004

> Another thing: Using timezone localisation selection to choose it, might
> be a bad idea as some people in the US might decide they want it no
> matter what. I mean - really - how namy here does REALLY care that
> because of US patent law libdcss is illegal, and therefor boot windows
> each time they want to watch a dvd on their pc?

As said, the name of the config screen should then be changed to choose
your location. This is a good idea anyways to select:
-metrics (I may use en_US as language, but I want european mainland
metrics, iow making the language decission based on location is not a
good idea, but for 99.9% choosing the metrics which are normal for the
location is the right thing todo. This is what windows 9x does anyways,
and it makes sense I know lot of people with english windows and dutch
metrics.
-mirrors for updates and repros
-timezone
-and also if to automaticly configure patent troubled repros.

> No, let the users decide. Put a big box there, with warnings and
> everything, and "yes/no" buttons. Debian does it, SuSE delivers mp3 etc,
> and many other distros does to. US is not the world ;)

Way to scary for my mother, if you're american just add the repro
manually like you have todo now. Besides by doing this automagicly I
think (but IANAL) that fedora has a better defense in court, because we
can say:
-your honor we made our software so that it doesn't download the
patented software in countries where there are patents on the software.
But because Fedora is internationally used we choise to make it easier
to get the patented softwarefor users in countries where there are no
patents to get the software. BTW In neither scenario are we distributing
the software.

> BTW. according to Richard Stallman, the EU is going to have a new vote
> on software patents in the beginning of october. Check out ffii.org for
> more information. As far as i know, the case is that the parliment voted
> "no" on sw patents last year, but the council still wants them (backed
> my multi-billion corps like Nokia, Siemens, and Microsoft), and have
> demanded a new hearing, in the beginning of October.

I know, everyone please contact your local eu parlement members about this.

Regards,

Hans

--
EuropeSwPatentFree http://EuropeSwPatentFree.hispalinux.es