Help on bug reports for gdal (bug 1964)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 1 13:45:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 12:18, Silke Reimer wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I announced gdal on fedora.us and last week I got some comments on
> my package[1]. Some of them are quite clear and will be fixed when I
> prepared my new package but I didn't understand all of them. Perhaps
> you can comment on them:
>
> > Minor:
> > * Permissions on files in *.src.rpm:
> > W: gdal strange-permission gdal-1.2.1.tar.gz 0600
> > W: gdal strange-permission gdal.spec 0664
> > W: gdal strange-permission gdal-install.patch 0664
>
> What are the permission supposed to be?

Standard permissions for all files in an src.rpm would be 0644.

Besides from what Michael wrote,
0664 is considered to be a security risk for automated build systems,
0600 is too restrictive for some chroot-based build-systems (e.g. mach).

> > * Partially low coding quality:
> > gdal_wrap.c:1136: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
> > break
> > strict-aliasing rules
> > gdal_wrap.c: In function `py_StringListToList':
> > gdal_wrap.c:1205: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
> > break
> > strict-aliasing rules
> > gdal_wrap.c: In function `ptrptrset':
> > [Dozens of similar warnings more.]
> >
> > As the package is reported to work on ia32, these warnings are
> > unlikely to break
> > the package, but they very likely cause the package to be
> > non-functional with
> > future GCCs and on other architectures.
>
> OK. I will inform the upstream author of the package. Do you have
> other suggestions what can be done regarding this issue?
Fix the code ;)

Such cases typically are nasty typecasts, which are incompatible to
newer C/C++ standards and which newer gcc's (gcc >= 3.3) started to
complain about.

Ralf