RFC: Fedora Extras shipping ix86 optimized rpms?

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 03:05:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:17:41 -0700, Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat.com> wrote:
> > 3. It would almost double the size of i386.rpms (These sse2 libs would
> > have to be part of i386.rpms) - Is it worth it?
>
> The size of the actual DSOs is not the only factor in the RPM size.
> This means that two RPMs are bigger then one RPM with two DSO versions.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but if the extra optimised
libraries are in a separate directory, wouldn't it be trivial to
define a subpackage for them?

Say we have libinfinite, which is a special library for executing
infinite loops. There's an option to have an SSE2 optimised version of
the library, which executes them even faster.

libinfinite-0.1-1.i386.rpm contains
/usr/lib/libinfinite.so.0
(and other common docs, utils, etc)

A subpackage, libinfinite-sse2-0.1-1.i386.rpm, contains
/usr/lib/sse2/libinfinite.so.0
(just the optimised version, depends on libinfinite)

No doubling up, installable easily at any time, and removable by users
who need the disk space (without breaking anything).