Tyan 2885 w/ 3w-9xxx oopses [was: CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y forx86_64 SMP kernels]

Peter Maas fedora at rooker.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 2 17:18:38 UTC 2004

I would recommend compiling a vanilla kernel, with only the components you
need and see if you have the same problem occurs. I am currently running
vanilla 2.6.8 and have written many gigabytes of data on a terabyte 9500S-12
raid setup without fault, but I use the XFS filesystem instead of ext3. I
personally believe, but with no evidence to back it up, that compiling ext3
into the kernel, and not running it as a module, gives a more stable system.

I would suggest trying the latest kernel, with only the hardware you use
compiled in (if you dont use the parallel port, seral ata, ipv6, dont add it
in) and see if it works any better.

If it doesnt you may have a hardware problem of some sort.

Peter Maas