rawhide report: 20040903 changes

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Sep 3 17:59:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Dax Kelson wrote:

>> xorg-x11-6.7.99.2-2
>> -------------------
>> * Thu Aug 12 2004 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> 6.7.99.2-2
>>
>> - Added code to the rpm pre script to munge the config file to change the
>>   "keyboard" driver to "kbd" driver on upgrades, as XOrg no longer supports
>>   the old "keyboard" driver.
>> - Use perl -p -i -e in pre rpm script for all config file munging instead of
>>   grep and temporary files.
>
>Did the policy on no perl in RPM pre/post install scripts change?

What policy?

>There have been many bugzilla bugs filed and fixed over the years
>removing perl from rpm scripts.

That may be so, but it is impossible to install a modern Red Hat
OS without installing perl.  Since perl is guaranteed to be
there, because so many parts of the OS require it, I see no
reason not to use it.  It's been present in XFree86 packaging
for ages now.  I've even considered making all of the rpm scripts
pure perl by using #!/usr/bin/perl shebangs.  ;o)

The perl code present now, replaces some very ugly sed code which
used temporary files.  I see no compelling technical reason to
not use perl.

--
Mike A. Harris        ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer   -   X11 Developer   -   Red Hat