FC3test2 candidate tree

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Sep 6 09:18:15 UTC 2004

Steve G wrote :

> This is interesting. util-linux does not compile as is. It must be
> patches to link against ltermcap since slang requires it. cfdisk is what
> complains.
>
> Also, the latest glibc-kernheaders breaks gpm since it provides its own
> input struct definitions. Kudzu is also broken because it uses "byte" as
> a datatype which seems to be missing now. I typedef'd byte from unsigned
> char to fix this.
>
> My question...how does mach mysteriously fixup these bugs when the srpms
> clearly do not compile?
>
> Just curious...

AFAIK, the distribution isn't "bootstrapped" (rebuilt entirely using itself
as the build host), but instead assembled from packages built all along the
development cycle, rebuilt only for updates, bug fixes or to pick up new
dependencies. So for now, it's clearly a good idea to try and rebuild the
test release "on itself" and report any breakage like you've found to the
list, or better, to bugzilla.

Then there is the day when there will be a well defined and accepted
minimal set of build packages... a small step for rpm-kind, but a huge step
for build reproducibility :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Load : 0.33 0.29 0.44