Notes on Yum Changes

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 6 17:14:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:32 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 08:48 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 17:07 +0900, Naoki wrote:
> > > I missed the thread, what happened to 'upgrade' ?
> >
> > yum --obsoletes update
>
> I honestly fail to understand why this isn't the default.
>
> Yum has improved _definitely_a_lot_, it works much better on mirrors
> (and in the past it used to fail horribly and constantly due to mirror
> misbehaviour).
>
> But IMHO it places a lot of decisions on the enduser, failing in a scary
> way when bad things happen.

osboletes can be what you set if you want.

just set obsoletes=1 in the [main] section of your yum.conf

however obsoletes should not be the default b/c of circular obsoletes.
ie:
foo obsoletes bar
baz osboletes foo
bar obsoletes baz

and if you don't think that happens, look around, it definitely does.

-sv