Notes on Yum Changes

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Sep 6 19:38:49 UTC 2004

man, 06.09.2004 kl. 21.04 skrev Rui Miguel Seabra:
> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 13:14 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > > I honestly fail to understand why this isn't the default.
> >
> > osboletes can be what you set if you want.
> >
> > just set obsoletes=1 in the [main] section of your yum.conf
>
> Oh, I've already done that. I just think it should be the default.
>
> > however obsoletes should not be the default b/c of circular obsoletes.
> > ie:
> > foo obsoletes bar
> > baz osboletes foo
> > bar obsoletes baz
> >
> > and if you don't think that happens, look around, it definitely does.
>
> Well, I thought there was a process for package submission, review and
> what not. Of course accidents happen. But this is no excuse, or is a
> "meta packager" like yum not better than plain rpm in itself?
>
> As far as I can see, I have to solve about as many problems as I did
> without a metapackager (--obsoletes, --exclude=..., etc...). The job of
> a meta packager is making things easier.
>
> My praise was precisely that yum has had a giant step towards this goal,
> but there are definitely corners to round.
>
> Anyway, loops are not that hard to find, just mark where you've been
> previously (prolog 101) and handle apropriately (ie, until repo fixes
> it, I can't do anything that touches foo, bar or baz, may I proceed with
> the rest?).

Yup, ran into that when running "daily yum update" on a network, and
discovered that "xmms-mp3" (installed from apt) blocked "xmms", and when
xmms couldn't be upgraded, there is no reason to even try with the rest,
right?

> Rui

But this looks cool!

Is there any plans for integrating rpm with yum - so that rpm would ask
"you need dependancy foo, bar, baz.so in order to install this package,
shall i ask yum to fetch them for you? (y/n)"

BTW. Guess i forgot to introduce my self:

My name is Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk, and i come from Norway, where i go to
"high-school" (think that is the closest matching term - probably
university next year) and also helps rolling out/maintaining Linux on my
school, while feeling pity for the windows-guy who dont have any good
scripting tools at hand...

I know some programming (a bit of that and another bit of that), but
that is probably not what i'm best at.

I think i mostly joined this list in order to "see whats going on", but
if there is anything i might help out with, ill be glad.

Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk