Notes on Yum Changes

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 6 23:03:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 18:32 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:04:06 +0100, Rui Miguel Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> > > just set obsoletes=1 in the [main] section of your yum.conf
> >
> > Oh, I've already done that. I just think it should be the default.
>
> I disagree. I would suggest instead of obsoletes being on by default
> that if yum can detect an situation wher an obsolete operation could
> be performaed when a conflict is detected yum should inform the user
> in some way that activating obsoletes might be worth trying to resolve
> the conflict ,becuase one of the invovled packages in the conflict has
> non-empty obsolete tags.

if one package obsoletes the other it's noted in the transaction by rpm.
So two conflicting packages that obsolete each other should be
acknowledged.
The problem in the case of rawhide recently was that
pkg1 obsoleted pkg2
but pkg2 was also up for an update.

so without the obsoletes in the calculation pkg1 was never even being
looked at but the new pkgs were conflicting.

> Easier...for clearly logical situations. Package tools should not take
> action in ill-defined situations such as repository self-consistency
> problems where excludes are needed.
> It is arguable whether obsoletes as a class are ill-defined, circular
> and/or chains of obsoletes definitely are.

This is why I've added the --obsoletes argument so the user can take
these actions on their own. Additionally the 'list obsoletes' option is
new. So you can see what from a repository will obsolete something on
your system. The output is not as good right now, it's on my short list
to make prettier.

-sv