Notes on Yum Changes

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 7 00:00:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 17:26 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 21:38 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>
> > Is there any plans for integrating rpm with yum - so that rpm would ask
> > "you need dependancy foo, bar, baz.so in order to install this package,
> > shall i ask yum to fetch them for you? (y/n)"
>
> Instead of integrating yum into rpm, just use a tool (such as yum
> itself) to install your packages instead of rpm.  I don't know offhand
> if yum already supports this, but if not, it should. ;-)
>
> The graphical tools like system-install-packages and friends should also
> then integrate with yum.
>
> I'm sure the maintainers will accept patches for such a feature. ;-)

The question becomes how to do this sensibly.

yum install /some/path/to/an/rpm

that's possible

except I get an equal number of requests for:

yum install /some/file/that/some/package/in/a/repository/provides.

it's not impossible to check for but it means searching harder.

the biggest limitation is time.

I'm one guy.

-sv