rpm error message, some more detail would be nice.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Tue Sep 7 03:02:52 UTC 2004

When doing something with rpm that should really be done as root could
it please say for example
"error: can't create transaction lock, do you need to be root", or maybe
a permission problem message instead of :

$ rpm -e kernel-2.6.5-1.358 kernel-2.6.8-1.541
error: can't create transaction lock

How would I formally request a more useful error message?

For the first half second I think, "huh, what's wrong", half a second
after that I throw a 'sudo' in front of it.

-n.