rpm error message, some more detail would be nice.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Tue Sep 7 06:02:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 23:14 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 12:02:52 +0900, Naoki <naoki at valuecommerce.com> wrote:
> > When doing something with rpm that should really be done as root could
> > it please say for example
> > "error: can't create transaction lock, do you need to be root", or maybe
> > a permission problem message instead of :
> >
> > $ rpm -e kernel-2.6.5-1.358 kernel-2.6.8-1.541
> > error: can't create transaction lock
>
> Doesn't this assume that ALL transaction lock problems are permissions related?
> Can you assume that? Does rpm have the capability to inherently know
> that its a permission problem? Can you assume that every rpm
> installation in use requires root?

Yeah, I thought about this as well and decided that a 'normal' user just
wouldn't ever work out what a transaction lock was. I don't care what
the error is message or even if there is one because I know how to use
'strace'.  Also considering the error is pretty obvious in it's cause :

open("/var/lock/rpm/transaction", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_LARGEFILE, 0644) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)

It might make sense and help the average joe if we can tell them it's a
permission problem.

-n.