rpm error message, some more detail would be nice.

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 12:01:37 UTC 2004

>> $ rpm -e kernel-2.6.5-1.358 kernel-2.6.8-1.541
>> error: can't create transaction lock

>Doesn't this assume that ALL transaction lock problems are permissions related?

No. There are a variety of reasons why this might fail. There's more than one
value for errno returned.

>Does rpm have the capability to inherently know that its a permission problem?

errno is set, its just a matter of using it in the error message.

>Can you assume that every rpm installation in use requires root?

This is actually a good point. rpm should check the uid to see if its root. If
not print a warning that there may be permission problems and re-run as root to
avoid this warning. This patch has been on my todo list for a while.

-Steve Grubb