rpm error message, some more detail would be nice.

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 12:47:12 UTC 2004

>I'm not sure that's ideal behaviour - it is possible to use things such
>as --dbpath and --root (ignoring not being able to move the transaction
>lock for the moment).  I wouldn't expect a failed (EPERM) rm command to
>suggest rerunning as root, likewise for rpm.

I think that using --dbpath  and --root is rare. The 80/20 rule is that people
use rpm to simply upgrade/query a system. Nothing fancy. The only time I *ever*
use those options is in my chroot build system when I'm setting up the build
partition. Even in that case I need to run as root to make sure all file
permissions are set correctly so that the build system will error when it tries
to overwrite something important.

I suppose another approach is to hold off the warning until EPERM is seen. But
that complicates the code. For my source tree, I'm going to patch in a warning
message since that is the simplest solution.

>Also theoretically we could have a "package_installer_r" with selinux to
>enable certain rpm install operations.

This would have to be thought out carefully if I understand your suggestion. It
could become and attack vector if done wrong.

-Steve Grubb