Notes on Yum Changes

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Sep 7 14:06:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 09:36, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 07 septembre 2004 à 09:09 -0400, seth vidal a écrit :
> > > What multiple repos? Why do you suppose there have to be multiple repos
> > > for this to happen?
> > >
> > > The latest problem of barfing due to obsolete packages happened recently
> > > with xorg.
> >
> > The problem was with xorg in RAWHIDE. Not in a normal repository. If
> > people want to run rawhide then they can figure out some subset of
> > pkging problems that come up.
>
> You have most of the problems of Rawhide on standard RHAS/Fedora
> systemes. It may be less frequent, but usually you don't have the leeway
> to fix it you get with a Rawhide box (entreprise critical, etc etc)
>
> « It's in Rawhide, I can ignore it » has always been a poor excuse IMHO.

I completely disagree. Rawhide frequently has unresolvable dependencies.
It frequently has randomly introduced version updates that are rolled
back in the next rawhide update.

Those things, which catch something like 90% of the users, do not happen
in stable releases. They do happen in broken repositories though. But
I'm not sure that just continuing when a repository is broken is in
anyone's best interest.

-sv