Notes on Yum Changes

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Sep 7 18:06:21 UTC 2004

tir, 07.09.2004 kl. 07.24 skrev Panu Matilainen:
> On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 03:00, seth vidal wrote:

> > > Instead of integrating yum into rpm, just use a tool (such as yum
> > > itself) to install your packages instead of rpm.  I don't know offhand
> > > if yum already supports this, but if not, it should. ;-)
> > >
> > > The graphical tools like system-install-packages and friends should also
> > > then integrate with yum.
> > >
> > > I'm sure the maintainers will accept patches for such a feature. ;-)
> >
> > The question becomes how to do this sensibly.
> >
> > yum install /some/path/to/an/rpm
> >
> > that's possible
> >
> > except I get an equal number of requests for:
> >
> > yum install /some/file/that/some/package/in/a/repository/provides.
> >
> > it's not impossible to check for but it means searching harder.
>
> Might be harder to search for but that IS an awfully nice and useful
> feature.
>
> 	- Panu -

Yes, that is one way to solve it.

What i was more thinking about, was really "integrating" (sorry if i use
the wrong wording) yum into rpm. Yum has an API, yes?

Only that will create a circular dependence rpm/yum - make it a compile
option?

But something that WILL be needed if this actually gets implemented, is
some "--noyumdepsolve" and "--silent-answer-yes" flags - rpm is very
useful also in scripts. (is there some way to detect if a program is
getting called by a script (non-interactive) or by an actual person on a
terminal? If so, --silent-answer-yes should be default imo. That option
could be _very_ useful when talking about rpm that require a license to
be read etc. (ever tried installing the Macromedia Flash rpm's through a
script? /me likes Dag Wieers, who makes good non-interactive
flash-rpms...)

Ofcourse it is possible to tell people to use yum instead of rpm - but
how nice is that? "Hey all you people, forget about rpm - always use yum
instead!!" - or not? "rpm -ivh two-lettersTAB" is something that is
built into my fingers... But a new tool could work (something like
"rpm-depsolve -ivh my-package.fc2.rpm"

Only problem now is actually finding a good programmer, and a good way
to do this.