Notes on Yum Changes

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Sep 7 20:58:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 21:51 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> tir, 07.09.2004 kl. 21.19 skrev Sean Middleditch:

> > If you're alright with requesting a tool like 'rpm-depsolve', I don't
> > see at all how you can argue against just using yum.  ;-)
> >

> Hmm... somhow using yum to install a local package feels wrong... Hmm...
> think ill acctually have to write some prototype stuff, then.

"Feels" wrong?  How?  It makes perfect sense.  Nothing wrong with a
separate tool either, although in the end all it would do is just invoke
yum, so it (to me) makes sense to just have yum do the work.

Yum itself has to handle the installation anyhow to make sure it
actually works.  Imagine a case where you are installing a local package
foo, which provides a virtual bar, and depends on baz, which requires a
package providing bar?  Yum has to know about the package being manually
installed to be able to satisfy the dependencies properly.  An
external/separate tool would pretty much be forced to take the local
package, calculate its dependencies, request them from Yum, and once
those are already installed, install the package requested by the user -
the sort of chain above could not ever be properly resolved in this
case.

Again, there isn't anything wrong with yum installing local packages.
It's the natural tool to do the job, and there isn't any compelling
reason to do otherwise.  "Feels wrong" does not count as a compelling
reason, either.  ;-)

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.