Dependency reciprocity : real world problem with httpd and httpd-suexec

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Sep 7 21:14:02 UTC 2004

Rex Dieter wrote:

>> Prereqs are different from requires only in that a PreReq is guaranteed
>> to be installed before the package that contains the PreReq.  PreReq's
>> are used only to order packages, otherwise PreReq's are exactly the same
>> as a Requires: dependency.
>

> Yep.  In my experience, at least for FC2 (and most earlier releases)
> that both Prereq and Requires(post) *does* make the Prereq'd item get
> installed first.

<warren> jbj, is PreReq exactly equivalent to Requires?
<jbj> warren: except for loop snipping (loops are different problem)
yes, identical.
<jbj> when loops are snipped, PreReq is honored, but all Requires: in
loop are ignored.
<jbj> again, loops need to be solved in other ways.

Looks like I need to go back through all the specs I edited in the past
year and see if I need to revert any PreReq to Requires changes...

Warren