Dependency reciprocity : real world problem with httpd and httpd-suexec

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 8 10:00:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 10:07, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:24:21AM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > If PreReq does not "exist" in the sense it used to any more, one such
> > "tool" which supposedly nowadays at least partially replaces/provides
> > that functionality are "context markers" (ie. Requires(pre) and friends
> > if I've understood _that_ correctly).
> >
> > [1] https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-metadata/2003-October/000095.html
>
> I thought Requires(pre) and friends are just for dependencies of the
> scripts?
Hmm, I think, you're mixing this up with BuildPreRequires and BuildRequires.

> Can anyone state definitively (and preferably in plain English), if I
> have in the httpd-suexec subpackage:
>
> PreReq: httpd
>
> the files contained in said package will be installed only after the
> %pre script of the httpd package has run?

Basically, "PreReq: httpd" denotes that "httpd" must be installed when
the package is installed.

At least some versions of rpm (e.g. the version shipped with FC2)
re-sort package installation order if being given several packages:

Example: 2 packages, gaga and gaga-addon, with gaga-addon using
PreReq: gaga

# rpm -Uv gaga-0-0.fdr.x.i386.rpm gaga-addon-0-0.fdr.x.i386.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
gaga-0-0.fdr.x
gaga-addon-0-0.fdr.x
# rpm -e gaga gaga-addon

# rpm -Uv gaga-addon-0-0.fdr.x.i386.rpm gaga-0-0.fdr.x.i386.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
gaga-0-0.fdr.x
gaga-addon-0-0.fdr.x

[Note: rpm modified installation order]

If installers (up2date/yum/apt) behave differently (I haven't checked),
they'd have to be considered broken :-)

Ralf