floppy install

Matias Feliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Thu Sep 9 04:15:05 UTC 2004

Le jeu 09/09/2004 à 03:07, Lonnie Cumberland a écrit :
> Hello All,
>
> I am starting to get a small feel for the FC2 Linux os with many
> differences from my old Mandrake 10.0 distro and I must say that I like
> what I have seen so far. In as much, I will be re-formatting my machine
> to remove the MDK and put in the FC2 code.
>
> I have seen that I can use a boot.iso burned onto a cdrom to install
> Fedora, but I was wondering what provisions were there for booting from
> a floppy and then installing over the net, NFS, hard drive, http, etc... ?

It's "easy" to install FC2.
You need a way to load vmlinuz and initrd.img. These files are in
/isolinux of CD1.

Most common options can be found in the same directory (isolinux.cfg and
*.msg files). askmethod parameter provide the ability to install with
NFS/FTP/HTTP and hard drive method.

For example, copy vmlinuz and initrd.img in the hard drive, then use a
floppy with grub and load vmlinuz/initrd.img :
	title Fedore Core 3 _not_T2 (Install)
        	root(hd0,0)
                kernel /vmlinuz ramdisk_size=8192 askmethod
                initrd /initrd.img

You can use "Smart Boot Manager"
http://btmgr.webframe.org/index.php3 :
        Booting from CD-ROM
                Smart BootManager supports booting from almost all kinds
                of IDE ATAPI CD-ROM