rpm --redhat-requires, rpm --redhat-provides

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 9 05:34:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 06:59, seth vidal wrote:
> > > if yum or some other command line tool were to be able to return the
> > > same data from the xml metadata, instead of the comps or rpmdb-fedora,
> > > would people be willing to use those?
> >
> > IMO, the only tool that is relevant here is "rpm", not "some other
> > command line tool" and definitely not "yum", because the package
> > management system being used is "rpm", not yum, apt nor up2date.

> > I.e. if you want to make metadata the exclusive and normative source of
> > available packages, the next step would be to enable rpm to process
> > them. Alternatively, I could imagine "some other command tool" could
> > replace "rpm --redhat-*" as part of the rpm package.
>
> so to make sure I'm hearing you right:
>
> either:
> make rpm parse the xml repodata directly
>
> or:
>
> provide another 'some other command tool' that replaces the popt macro
> for 'rpm --redhat-*'?
Yes, this is essentially what I had in mind.

In particular I was thinking along the lines of shipping a metadata*rpm,
to replace rpmdb-fedora*rpm, because I'd expect the info contained in
both of them to be completely equivalent.

Yum then could use this rpmdb-fedora-replacement rpm to setup its
initial package-metadata/header cache etc.

Another aspect, I am not sure about is if and how to reflect dynamically
set up metadata-caches to "rpm --redhat-*".
On one hand, ATM, rpm doesn't know anything about yum/apt/up2date, so
not considering this case would not be a regression.
On the other hand, if rpm is able to read metadata-files/caches, it
should not be too be difficult to extended it to read arbitrary
metadata-files/caches such as the ones being used by yum.

Ralf