rpm --redhat-requires, rpm --redhat-provides

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 9 05:40:52 UTC 2004

> Then (rpm --fedora -q --whatprovides PACKAGE), (rpm --fedora -qf FILE),
> (rpm --fedora -ql PACKAGE), (rpm --fedora -ev --test PACKAGE) etc.,
> I tend to use this very often (daily is a good estimate).

I dare say your use is extremely special.

> I don't think the XML metadata allows so general queries and I'm
> not sure what is the subset of rpmdb data that would be enough to
> completely replace all the ways I have ever used rpmdb.

umm. The xml metadata allows whatever query the tool that is accessing
it allows. the intent of yum is to be somewhat simpler for a given
subset of commands but the xml metadata provides a significant fraction
of the data that is normally in an rpmdb. Not the file checksums, to be
sure, but it does provide:

changelogs
files
dirs
provides/obsoletes/conflicts/requires
standard info on a package (rpm -qpi type stuff)

it might be worthwhile to implement a general query tool for the xml
metadata. Anyone interested?

-sv