Re: rpm --redhat-requires, rpm --redhat-provides

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:34:27 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > > provide another 'some other command tool' that replaces the popt macro
> > > for 'rpm --redhat-*'?
> > Yes, this is essentially what I had in mind.
>
> +1
>
> rpmdb-fedora is very useful, but is not updated after all the Fedora
> Core updates unless you do that yourself with --justdb and related RPM
> options.

I'm starting to have funny ideas about 'repoquery' (or whatever you want
to call it) which does what rpmquery does but handles seamlessly both
rpmdb and repository metadata information. AND provides meaningful answers
to things like '--whatrequires foo' - this is one of my "favorites":

[pmatilai chip pmatilai]$ rpm -q --whatrequires openssl libpcap-0.8.3-3
curl-7.11.1-1
openssl-devel-0.9.7a-35
w3m-0.5-3
sendmail-8.12.11-4.6
dovecot-0.99.10.6-1,FC2,1
kdelibs-3.2.2-8.FC2
[pmatilai chip pmatilai]$

A whopping 5 packages. Yet what REALLY requires openssl:

[pmatilai chip pmatilai]$ rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides
openssl`|grep -v "no package"|sort -u|wc -l
55
[pmatilai chip pmatilai]$

Ooops...

	- Panu -