RFC: cleaning up updates and updates-testing

Charles R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Sep 10 03:59:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:32:49PM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:34:21PM +0200, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> > It was useful for me to be able to go back and fetch all the older
> > kernel updates to see which one broke qemu.
> >
> > So I would say that it would be useful to have older updates available.
> > They don't have to be in the same directory, of course.
>
> ISTR this comes up on mirror-list-d occasionally, and the preferred
> solution seems to be what you are suggesting.
>
> An obsolete-updates directory could be easily --exclude'd, and people
> who need to back out an update for whatever reason would still have
> the old updates available.

>From a mirroring perspective, it is much more efficient to have an
all-updates directory containing all the real files, and a
latest-updates directory containing only symlinks to the newest files
in the other directory.  That way rsync can sync the symlinks with
--delete and you don't have to download the files again when they
become obsolete and would otherwise be moved between directories.