Will FC3 grub DTRT wrt installation on software RAID-1 boot arrays

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Fri Sep 10 04:23:27 UTC 2004

Hi, I haven't tested FC3test as yet and wanted to ask if grub in FC3
would do the right thing when installing on a software raid-1 boot array
(ie, that it would write to the MBR on both disks) so if there was a
disk failure, the machine would still come up. Currently in FC1/FC2, if
you install on software raid-1 array and then remove the first disk, the
system won't boot up since there is no boot information on the MBR of
the 2nd disk. lilo would do the right thing but since that's being
deprecated. I don't know if Grub is capable of this task

An engineer from Dell has provided a document which gives a workaround
for this

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/014331.html

Regards, Yusuf