tmpfs /dev

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Sep 10 05:08:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:19, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> You will need to talk to Bill Nottingham about modifying /sbin/init to
> do this.  They are not crazy about
> putting additional code into /sbin/init since it is very hard to debug.

We've done it once, we can do it again.

> They prefer rc.sysinit.  They also do not

rc.sysinit means changing the policy for init_t, initrc_t, and maybe others.

> want to relabel the /dev file system if it is not a tmpfs,  since with
> 8000 or more files it could take a while and
> slow down the boot up.

On the slowest machine I have access to (a machine that can never run Fedora
because it doesn't meet the hardware requirements) it takes 12 seconds to run
setfiles on a fully loaded /dev.  On machines that are a mere four years old
it takes about 2 seconds, I doubt that you will be able to measure the
difference that this makes on any hardware that can be purchased now.  But
writing some code to check for the file system type is not too difficult.