yum and local cache

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:18:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:55:22 -0500, Otto Haliburton
<ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:
> It didn't fail quietly, It failed as has been described in this thread, I
> just didn't want to continue repeating the same error message.  The
> description of the problem is valid.

I have NOT seen a full or detailed error message from yum in this
thread from anyone who thinks they are seeing a problem with yum's
caching behavior.

Its very important... to be as accurate as possible... when reporting
problems. And that means giving error messages VERBATIM. All i see in
this thread is talk about the error messages being seen, i have not
seen the actually yum output reproduced. No one in this thread has
actually submitted the actually messages yum was producing in context
with the actions being performed.  No one has gone through the trouble
of running yum in a higher debug level and logging the output.

Now, I don't expect a novice tester to know where to look for yum's
cache information like I did to visually inspect that cache files are
being stored. I don't expect a novice tester to automatically know
they should perhaps maybe  look to turn on higher verbosity and
debuging output.  But what I do expect, and I would dare say most
developers would expect from competent testers even novice ones to
give accurate and full error and log messages that the programs are
producing when trying to communicate a problem.

-jef"if you can't cut and paste, get a digital camera and take a
picture of the screen with the yum message text..do whatever it takes
to get accurate error messages into the bug report...you did file a
bug report right?"spaleta