yum and local cache

Alin Osan al at casa.org.ro
Fri Sep 10 20:10:29 UTC 2004

On Fri September 10 2004 17:58, seth vidal wrote:

> Nothing has been described in this thread.
>
> no output, no error messages, NOTHING.

Wrong (again) :-)
In my first mail of this thread I described the problem.
Here are my posts (again):

###

Hello,

The latest version of yum doesn't seem to use the local cache. If for
some
reason, yum -y update has to be restarted (dependency problem,
conflicts),
it begins to download all the files from the top, including those were
previously downloaded. Is this a bug or a feature?

###

And the second one, with required informations:

###

On Friday 10 September 2004 10:57, seth vidal wrote:

> 1. what version of yum

yum-2.1.3-1

> 2. why do you say it's downloading things over and over again?

I say it because it happens. First time, it stopped with "Error:
xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts:  xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3" and
after I manually installed xorg-x11-font-utils yum -y update started to
download all the files from the beginning. I noticed this on a PC at
home,
it was not a problem since bandwidth is plenty but I'm doing the same
thing on a machine at work where I have 512 kbps. I don't want to think
about dial-up users...

###
If and only if yum gets an error like the one before, it will download
again all files, will just ignore the files allready downloaded. I'm
absolutely sure about this, it happen on two distict machines, both
with rawide, I even checked with tcdump to see if there is any bits
flow. Otherwise, yum uses the files in cache, but it does not if you
get a conflict (like the one that I had, "Error:
xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts:  xorg-x11-base-fonts<= 6.7.99.903-3").
Meanwhile, yum is a great tool and you are doing a great job. I'm just
trying to help.

Alin Osan