First boot with 20040908 changes

Steve G linux_4ever at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 18:33:02 UTC 2004

>> Can you detect a ext3 drive that doesn't have xattrs applied? If so, the work
>> around is not to write anything related to xattrs to that drive.
>
>It sounds to me like this should be fixed in the kernel.

Agreed. A solution in the kernel would be ideal. However, I cannot assume that
will ever happen. I am looking for a work around that prevents the problem from
occurring in the first place. I think it can be done by simply not having enough
info available for automounting programs to "connect the dots".

>>>I'm not sure how well turning off media detection works presently
>>
>> Something changed after yesterday's updates. I set everything to false
>> yesterday and there were no entries in /media and fstab. Today they
>> are there.

I found this problem. My shell script didn't provide quotes to the xml attribute
tags. parse error. This all works fine.

>Maintaining mountpoints == maintaining /etc/fstab. There will be a
>configuration for fstab-sync to specify whether a drive or media should
>be ignored. So you'll be able to say something like
>
> block.device="/dev/hda7", ignore
> storage.serial="CLP225F2G3UR4A", ignore
> block.device="/dev/hda2", mount_point="/mnt/my_own_mount_point"
> volume.label="CANON_DC", mount_point="/mnt/my_camera",
> options="noauto,user,exec,noatime,sync"

It would be nice if the syntax was awk or bash friendly. I plan to write a
configuration tool for this in the ccs tools.

>I'm not sure how to best work around the xattr issue and I'm wary at
>adding special casing code at the hal level for this - I'm more of the
>opinion that this should be solved at the kernel level and I'm curious
>at what other people think.

Maybe the above syntax will be enough for a work around. That's all I'm after for
the short term. Where are these config files to be kept? /etc or /usr? If /usr,
be sure to test on a computer that has /usr on a separate partition. I also
wonder how well it works from a nash shell when something blows up during boot.
:) With the xattr oops problem affecting me everyday, I'm sure I'll find out...

2 bugzilla reports were filed for hal.

-Steve Grubb