Midi-player for FC - an will there be anyone in FC3?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sat Sep 11 23:20:11 UTC 2004

søn, 12.09.2004 kl. 01.11 skrev Janina Sajka:
> Kyrre Ness Sjobak writes:
> > Hmm... Does anybody know why Fedora haven't included a simple
> > midi-player, which simply sends things to your soundcard for rendering,
> > which in turn plays it?? And does anybody know about a good such
> > program?
> >
> Huh? Did timidity++ disappear? Or, am I misunderstanding your question?
>
> [root at concerto 19:07:32] root#rpm -qi timidity++
> Name        : timidity++                   Relocations: (not
> relocatable)
> Version     : 2.11.3                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
> Release     : 9                             Build Date: Tue 17 Feb 2004
> 03:13:56 AM EST
> Install Date: Tue 20 Jul 2004 06:13:03 PM EDT      Build Host:
> romaine.build.redhat.com
> Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM:
> timidity++-2.11.3-9.src.rpm
> Size        : 10659100                         License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 06 May 2004 06:20:44 PM EDT, Key ID
> b44269d04f2a6fd2
> Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
> URL         : http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/
> Summary     : A software wavetable MIDI synthesizer.
> Description :
> TiMidity++ is a MIDI format to wave table format converter and
> player. Install timitidy++ if you'd like to play MIDI files and your
> sound card does not natively support wave table format.
>
> > Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk

Hmm... what if i (as many others) are so lucky to have a HW-based
midi-playing soundcard (such as the AWE 64)? Methinks maybe they wants
to use it...

Could it be possible to do something like MS does - in the gstreamer
setup, give an option to either use timidity (with a full patchset - the
patches included don't even rival my old SB16, and there is (as far as i
have heard) plenty of space on cd4...) - or HW sequencer (including
external) - if aviable. Then any app using gst (ex. rythmbox) could
easyly play .mid.

But another thing - when i move my mouse over some music-file in
nautilus - it displays a little note in a speak-bubble. Is it meant that
nautilus should preweiv them that way? Seems like a good idea, but its
not working...

Kyrre