Midi-player for FC - an will there be anyone in FC3?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 23:39:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:26:48 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak
<kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> Hmm... Does anybody know why Fedora haven't included a simple
> midi-player, which simply sends things to your soundcard for rendering,
> which in turn plays it?? And does anybody know about a good such
> program?

I think the fact that you have to ask the second question, points to a
reason why you have to ask the first one. If you have the hardware and
the interest in playing midi files, and you can't find an appropriate
software for linux that fedora could evaluate for inclusion... that
should tell you something about why its not included.

here's how you can be proactive:
Find software that works for what you need to do.
File a bug report in bugzilla.redhat.com requesting its inclusion
making a case that nothing
so far in Core provides this functionality
Create packages for the software and submit it for QA review at
fedora.us if its not already there.

A quick google gives me:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2003-December/msg00099.html

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-dependencies.html
quote
3.6. Does GStreamer support MIDI ?
Not yet. The GStreamer architecture should be able to support the
needs of MIDI applications very well however. If you are a developer
interested in adding MIDI support to GStreamer we are very interested
in getting in touch with you.
endquote

Are you that developer? I think perhaps you can serve your own
interests by communicating directly with the gstreamer developers.

-jef