Midi-player for FC - an will there be anyone in FC3?

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun Sep 12 11:45:46 UTC 2004

søn, 12.09.2004 kl. 01.39 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:26:48 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak
> <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> > Hmm... Does anybody know why Fedora haven't included a simple
> > midi-player, which simply sends things to your soundcard for rendering,
> > which in turn plays it?? And does anybody know about a good such
> > program?
>
> I think the fact that you have to ask the second question, points to a
> reason why you have to ask the first one. If you have the hardware and
> the interest in playing midi files, and you can't find an appropriate
> software for linux that fedora could evaluate for inclusion... that
> should tell you something about why its not included.
>
> here's how you can be proactive:
> Find software that works for what you need to do.
> File a bug report in bugzilla.redhat.com requesting its inclusion
> making a case that nothing
> so far in Core provides this functionality
> Create packages for the software and submit it for QA review at
> fedora.us if its not already there.
>
> A quick google gives me:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-multimedia/2003-December/msg00099.html
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-dependencies.html
> quote
> 3.6. Does GStreamer support MIDI ?
> Not yet. The GStreamer architecture should be able to support the
> needs of MIDI applications very well however. If you are a developer
> interested in adding MIDI support to GStreamer we are very interested
> in getting in touch with you.
> endquote
>
> Are you that developer? I think perhaps you can serve your own
> interests by communicating directly with the gstreamer developers.
>
> -jef

Think that is somewhat over my head ;)

But after some googling (thanks for the links, gave me some hints), ill
found amSynth ( http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/amSynth/index.html ) and
MusE ( http://lmuse.sourceforge.net/ ) - which i will test out and
report back to bugzilla if any of them seem "worthy".

As a welcome side-effect, we migth by inclusion of midi-sequencer progs
acctually prepare the ground for more musicans to swich to linux.

Kyrre