vsftpd.conf

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Sun Sep 12 11:54:36 UTC 2004

søn, 12.09.2004 kl. 13.15 skrev dragoran:
> Sean Middleditch schrieb:
>
> >On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 00:18 +0100, Paul Trippett wrote:
> >

> >>Why not take a BSD approach and give them the option when installing the
> >>package, say for example...
> >>
> >># rpm -i vsftp....rpm
> >>Would you like to enable Anonymous logins? (y/n) [N]
> >>Would you like to enable Local user Logins? (y/n) [N]
> >>

> >Because RPMs are absolutely never ever supposed to ask questions.
> >
> >- What if the RPM is being installed non-interactively?
> >- What if the RPM is being installed with a GUI tool?
> >- What if the user doesn't understand English?
> >
> >And then you get into the general usability problems - are the question
> >phrased properly?  Is "Y/N" an appropriate prompt?  etc.
> >
> >Better to offer a nice GUI configuration utility and just let admins run
> >it after the installation, or just edit the .conf file if they're of the
> >mind.
> >

> Nobody set up a ftp server and leave the default config, so it doesn't
> really matter if anonymous logins are on by default or not.

... exept those noobs who just hits "install everything" (which amounts
to 50% of n00bs comming straight from the bare-bones windows world).
There should be a "install everything, exept servers" option in
anaconda...

BTW asking questions during install caused me a lot of trouble when
macromedia flash plugin did this - i was rolling it out to a number of
machines using admin-script (www.solution-forge.net/source/unprotected)
(the protected folder is empty ;) ). Thank you dag for providing a
no-questions-asked rpm.

But if nobody installs a ftpd without confing it, what bad would it do
to disable logins?