Midi-player for FC - an will there be anyone in FC3?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Sep 12 14:57:41 UTC 2004

Kyrre Ness Sjobak writes:
> søn, 12.09.2004 kl. 01.11 skrev Janina Sajka:
> > Kyrre Ness Sjobak writes:
> > > Hmm... Does anybody know why Fedora haven't included a simple
> > > midi-player, which simply sends things to your soundcard for rendering,
> > > which in turn plays it?? And does anybody know about a good such
> > > program?
> > >
> > Huh? Did timidity++ disappear? Or, am I misunderstanding your question?

... ...

> Hmm... what if i (as many others) are so lucky to have a HW-based
> midi-playing soundcard (such as the AWE 64)? Methinks maybe they wants
> to use it...

Are you aware of Planet CCRMA which is an entire distribution for
musicians based on Fedora?

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

I mention CCRMA because it's Fedora and rpm based and aimed at
professional musicians.

However, I would also agree that support for driving MIDI instruments
directly is weak on Linux. So, I heartily second Jeff's suggestion to
get involved adding MIDI support to gstreamer--if that's something
you're able to contribute.

> Could it be possible to do something like MS does - in the gstreamer
> setup, give an option to either use timidity (with a full patchset - the
> patches included don't even rival my old SB16,

The CCRMA repository does have timidity with a better set of
instruments, fortunately.