vsftpd.conf

Brandon Joseph Adams bja at illinois.dyndns.org
Sun Sep 12 17:07:35 UTC 2004

>>Better to offer a nice GUI configuration utility and just let admins run
>>it after the installation, or just edit the .conf file if they're of the
>>mind.
>>

> Nobody set up a ftp server and leave the default config, so it doesn't
> really matter if anonymous logins are on by default or not.

Incorrect. That should read, "Nobody SHOULD set up an ftp server and leave
the default config...". Unfortunately a lot of people who don't have a
clue do this exact thing, and allowing anonymous ftp logins by default may
be a security issue for these people.

I agree that a nice configuration utility would be nice and to just let
the admin edit the config to his/her liking, but leaving anonymous logins
off only requires an extra line in the release notes and a small paragraph
in any manual. I think this is a small price to pay for the potential
benefits.

Brandon

--
Brandon Joseph Adams